Monday, November 24, 2008

The Record Jumps On A Scratch

I plugged in the turntable last night.
First time in years.
Members of the family did join me for the occasion and the first song played that evening was “Carolyn’s Fingers” by Cocteau Twins. It had been years since I heard it, but thanks to a bunch of video links that a friend recently sent to me, I was reminded at how awesome the Cocteau Twins were. I’d say “are” but I haven’t heard squat from them in many years. It’s amazing how a band…particularly in this day and age…can still come up with something totally novel and unique and, to that point, Cocteau Twins fit both of those adjectives.
My wife didn’t seem impressed with my trip down memory lane, except when I played the 12” single to “Personal Jesus.” Ethan spent most of the time trying to show off and compete for the our attention, who spent most of the time focused on how cute Calli was.
Yes, Callista danced to pretty much every song I played, spinning, raising her arms and sticking out her butt to such songs as “Safety Dance,” Yazoo’s “Don’t Go” remix, and some compilation of Brazilian music. She started laughing when I put on the Butthole Surfers’ “Moving To Florida.”
After dinner, I went back down to the basement for some additional trips down memory lane and the only person to join me was Callista. When Ethan heard her dancing with me some more, he came down again to make sure his baby sister wasn’t getting all of Dad’s attention.I think both kids will be music lovers, but for some reason, I think that Calli might be a little more contemplative about it. Ethan likes to laugh and goof around to the music while Callista seems content with dancing and walking over to the records and cds to take an active role in the process. When I showed her the colored vinyl of one record, she let out an impressed "Whoa hoah!”
She held out her hands to grab it, but she has to learn how to hold it from the edges before she’s let anywhere near my records.

No comments: