Friday, November 14, 2008

The Humanistic Freakout In My Mailbox

What do you do when you have $50 in your PayPal account that’s been burning a hole in your pocket for months on end? You piss it away on a limited edition package for The Flaming Lips Christmas On Mars, that’s what! Look, I’m fully aware that the thing may indeed be a piece of shit…all signs do indeed point to “Yes”…but I’ve been following this project for so long now that I can’t just give us. No sir, I’ve got to buy the deluxe limited edition version.
So today, when I noticed a box from Warner Bros, I knew what to expect: The DVD of the film, the cd of the original score, an “Eat Your Own Spaceship” popcorn box complete with real (icky) popcorn, Flaming Lips “trading” cards, a replica of the original Christmas On Mars screening tickets (pieced together like tabs of acid), an “Eat Your Own Spaceship” bumper sticker, and a Christmas On Mars t-shirt.
No, my package did not contain the “Golden Ticket” providing me with backstage access to the band’s New Year’s Eve performance in O.K.C.
And I didn’t get the popcorn box signed by the members of the band, which totally pisses me off as I ordered the fucking thing the first day it was available.
Now I am forced to stalk them.
How do I know it’s going to be a piece of shit? I don’t, but when it takes several fucking years to put the Goddamn thing together, you know there’s sure to be holes the size of Tulsa asphalt in the plot and filmed scenes.
I’ve never been to Oklahoma, so I can’t really speak for their infrastructure, but it sure sounded good. Plus, I just saw Wild At Heart for the millionth time, so I ripped that line (kinda) from Laura Dern.
Anyways.
I remember being totally stoked about the project when I first heard about it some seven years ago. Without knowing what the hell it’s about (I still don’t, b.t.w.), I was intrigued that a band like The Flaming Lips were undertaking a science fiction film project. The more the band revealed, the more I began to think that the project was Wayne’s own Lifehouse project, something that would assuredly fall over on the weight of its own magnitude.
One of these days, I’ll file a report on it. For now, I’m just content with all of the crap I spent my PayPal money on.

No comments: