Friday, November 7, 2008

Duran Duran - Rio


I don’t have that ninth grade review of Rio, but I vaguely remember enough of it to paraphrase one of the “money shot” lines. I referred to the song “Hungry Like The Wolf,” noted the song lyric’s strong sexual imagery and declared it to be something that may to “too risque to find it’s way on to the Solid Gold show.”
For those of you that were too young to remember (read: all of you), “Solid Gold” was a television show where people would come and lip-synch their songs in front of a phony audience. It was very lame and not very many “cool” bands played on it.
Anyway, our town didn’t have MTV and, therefore, I didn’t really have too great of a visual image of the band. I probably saw the video to “Hungry Like The Wolf” once or twice, but I really thought that Duran Duran would turn out to be this highbrow new wave band and eventually get heroin addictions and record albums in Berlin with Eno.
So I write that bitchin line and what does my English teacher write on it? “I just saw them play this song on ‘Solid Gold’ last week. A-“
Let me return the favor, Duran Duran, and award you with my own ‘A-‘ for your best album, one that remarkably holds up better than expected and isn’t as embarrassing as my review of it. There, I said it.
I’ve concluded that Duran Duran owes a ton to Roxy Music. And while they couldn’t touch some of Roxy’s best work, Rio comes close and certainly bests the band’s late 70’s output like Flesh & Blood, the era that D.D. most resembles.
Unlike other Duran releases that are only as good as their singles, Rio’s lesser known tracks are not only noteworthy, but are on par with their more famous counterparts. What makes the album work so well is the band’s rhythm section of John and Rodger Taylor. John provides some nifty bass work full of funky slaps and pops while Rodger works both acoustic and electric drums with great precision. Make no mistake, it’s very white Anglophile funk, but there’s enough legitimate booty shaking thanks to Duran’s rhythm section to make their dance floor antics plausible.
The hits are concentrated on side one, but side two is fucking better. Slick, atmospheric and fuck-ready, the four songs on the second side of Rio are the best thing this band has ever done.
In closing, this is better-than-good pop music that, unlike the band’s other releases, is able to transcend the moment in which it was created and sound timeless when other contemporaries sound dated. And thanks to the success that Rio bestowed upon them, Duran Duran were never quite able to recreate the impeccable blend they achieved here.

7 comments:

DJMurphy said...

Thank God... you, Sir Totale, are a person whose taste I respect. Don't always agree with you, but I do respect your taste. For years I have liked this album in a bit of mild embarrassment; it's good to have it confirmed that serious music lovers can dig this one without feeling too ashamed.

You first had it on vinyl, right? The version with songs remixed in ways that to this day still haven't seen the light of day on CD?

Todd Totale said...

Of course it was on vinyl, and I wasn't aware that they had different mixes than the original version. I just downloaded a remastered version and it sounded great. Like I remembered it, but more vast. The rhythm section was a bunch better than I remembered. Totally overlooked them the first time around.
I'm curious to what items you don't agree with. Let me know and I'll try to write more stuff to get you pissed at me.

Tanja said...

A few things: First I too have found memories of "Rio", had it on cassette and lost it somewhere along the line. We didn't get MTV in South Dakota until 1984 so Solid Gold was where I first saw Split Enz and Adam and the Ants. Also remember seeing Devo do "Jerkin' Back and Forth" on that lovely show. I also saw those three bands as well as discovered Oingo Boingo on, you'll love this, AMERICAN BANDSTAND!
The only thing you've done to piss me off is hassle me to put Split Enz "True Colours" on my computer so you could download it and you have yet to review it :P

Todd Totale said...

Who knows? This recent fascination with the New Romantic movement may head south far enough for me to spin that Split Enz record and feel inspired. I've got to confess that someone recently sent me a link to the video for Human League's "(Keep Feeling) Fascination" and I immediately remembered how awesome that song was.

Anonymous said...

Nothing in this disc can touch my 12" of A View To A Kill.

DJMurphy said...

I meant that (for example) you dig metal more than I do, so in that sense we disagree. Politically, I think we're pretty much on the same page, so you're not gonna piss me off that way (unless you tell me you voted for Nader, in which case, why fuckin' vote?). Nah, Todd, you've already called me a pillow-bitin' Rundgren fan and I let it slide, so I think it's gonna be hard for you to piss me off, unless you come up with some weird hat trick of racism, homophobia, and buggery towards small animals, then you might piss me off...

Anonymous said...

The Chaffeur is the best song on the record.

Vicki in Denver