Monday, October 1, 2007

Van Halen Rehersal Videos

I’m now officially out of my “I could tolerate seeing Van Halen with David Lee Roth phase and it only took one glimpse of the rehearsal videos.
I understand it’s only a rehearsal. I know that the fellas are a helluva lot older. And I get the fact that most in attendance here are industry stiffs that include former members of Toto (no shit). But after Roth’s barking during the tour press conference, I was expecting just a tad more bite when it came time for the music.
Instead, you’ve got Diamond Dave, grinning like he’s on some kind of anti-depressant, Wolfgang Van Halen looking like someone let a sixteen year old kid on stage with some geriatric version of V.H., Alex laying out a the obligatory “I’m playing real fast and then I’ll play really slow” drum solo, and then there’s Eddie. Dressed in white Capri pants that look just as stupid now as they did during the Diver Down tour, Ed provided enough sound effects to retain his stature while staying the fuck away from Diamond Dave.
Seriously. You can almost cut the tension with a knife in these videos; could they seem any more uncomfortable together?

No comments: