Thursday, October 18, 2007

True Tales Of Nursery Rhymes

I’m not very good at nursery rhymes. My wife is: in a heartbeat she’s croonin’ “You Are My Sunshine” perfectly in key while I get the lyrics fucked up with “The Itsy-Bitsy Spider.”
So I pretty much just make up my own repertoire (you might know me as the songwriter to “Shakin’ My Buttercups” and “Sittin’ On My Daddy-Do”) or bring up the most out-of-left-field songs to try and put my little girl to sleep.
Lately, a song that’s been getting a lot of use thanks to Calli’s sickness is an old Bee Gees song called “I Started A Joke.” So yeah, imagine a four month old crying while I’m cooing
“I started a joke
That started the whole world crying
But I didn’t see
That the joke was on me”
Now imagine that aforementioned four month old getting retardedly sleepy by the time I hit the chorus.
No shit.
I don’t know what it is about my rendition of “I Started A Joke” that gets her calm, but I swear by it. And yes, I’ve tried other songs but none of them had the same results.
I decided to test something. I found out that if I try and replicate the Gibb falsetto in the song, I actually make her cry a little louder.
She only digs my version when I sing it in my natural baritone.
Check out this incredibly frightening footage of the nursery rhyme in question.

No comments: