Monday, October 8, 2007

Happy Birthday, John Lennon

Out of any rock star’s birthday, I can only claim to remember one without looking or reminders. John Lennon’s birthday is days away from my own, so that made it easier to remember.
Growing up, you’re taught certain things, or perhaps a better way to word it is that things are “handed down” to you. And by that I don’t mean something in the materialistic sense. Instead, I’m talking about truths, beliefs and morals.
One of the things handed down to me was the idea that John Lennon was the coolest Beatle.
Understand, this was even before an assassin made him into a martyr. This was ingrained prior to that tragedy, and not even the lackluster efforts like Walls & Bridges could change it. Because my Father verbally expressed a favoritism towards Lennon (and explained how my Mother was more of a McCartney fan), I felt the need to pay closer attention to his work, particularly with his Beatle material. Oh sure, there was the obligatory appeal of “funny” Ringo for a while during my youth, but even an eight year old knows Ringo Starr covering “You’re Sixteen” is not a good idea and it even manages to tarnish the image of “funny drummers.”
Besides, I occasionally glanced at the Sunday paper (a Sunday morning family ritual) while growing up and I specifically remember reading blurbs about Lennon’s exploits during his infamous “lost weekend” period.
Even an eight year old knows that rock stars are supposed to be drunk and belligerent.
But more than anything, it was Lennon’s songs that provided me with enough interest to look at his vital statistics. And they were good enough to have me remember that date, even when I can’t remember the birthdays of close relatives.
Top Ten Favorite Lennon Songs:
1.) “Mother” from Plastic Ono Band
2.) “Norwegian Wood” from Rubber Soul
3.) “Julia” from The Beatles
4.) “Imagine” from Imagine
5.) “Working Class Hero” from Plastic Ono Band
6.) “Revolution” from Past Masters: Volume Two
7.) “Tomorrow Never Knows” from Revolver
8.) “Come Together” from Abbey Road
9.) “I Am The Walrus” from Magical Mystery Tour
10.) “Strawberry Fields Forever” from Magical Mystery Tour

No comments: