Sunday, February 14, 2010

She Fell In Love With A Drummer

Nothing says “Happy Valentine’s Day” like a creepy picture of Ginger Baker.

I remember my initial attraction to Ginger came at the hands of my father, admittedly not the best authority of drumming. He continually referenced the drum solo in “Toad” as the reason for his opinion.
It wasn’t until I got older and had a good idea of what constituted excellent drumming ability before I realized that maybe Ginger wasn’t all he was cracked up to be. He’s got a lumbering presence when he plays, and I think his playing in Cream actually distracts from the frenetic pace that Clapton and Bruce undertake while trying to outdo each other.
When he played on Masters Of Reality’s Sunrise On The Sufferbus, I began to re-appreciate him.
I still think “Toad” is a piece of shit, but looking at Baker’s contorting face while playing it live makes up for it a bit.

3 comments:

Tanja said...

No one ever falls in love with a drummer. It's always those damn guitar players.

Todd Totale said...

You should switch to drummers. They're typically dumb but can often be very obediant. Lead vocalists are the worst. Just look at Vince Neil.

Kiko Jones said...

Props for bringing up Sunrise On the Sufferbus...have you heard Fela's live album w/Ginger? Pretty sweet.