Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Issues With Dave Marsh

My parents gave me a box of books that I had evidently left behind at their home over the years and they were tired of storing it for them. There were a few books that I actually wondered what had happened to (Hit Men, a book about the corruption at major label record companies was one, and I finally found my well-worn copy of Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia which may have been rock music's first reference book) a few that I completely forgot about, and one in which I evidently had some issues with.
I don't know what prompted me to deface Dave Marsh's picture on the back of his biography of Bruce Springsteen entitled Glory Days. It was enough for me to write "Bruce!" on his forehead, accentuate his lips, draw a cross a la Sonic Life between his eyes and put an obligatory Hitler mustache on him.
As far as I know, I didn't have anything against him. Unless I came across a negative review of his in some other reference book and decided to take my frustrations out on his glamour shot.
If he was the prick that gave every Galaxie 500 record one star in Rolling Stone's Record Guide then I simply didn't do enough with my artwork.

3 comments:

Churlita said...

That defaced pic is awesome. I know some local White boy rappers that kicked out of Gunners back in the 90's for defacing a Koko Taylor poster. I don't even think they had anything against her. They were just bored and it was funny.

Cousin J said...

Maybe you were just having fun? Didn't we used to draw hair in the armpits of chicks in magazines? Maybe you were into European women but I was just having a goof.

Kiko Jones said...

Defacing under the influence, perhaps?

Btw, I recently got my hands on a hardcover edition of Hit Men after misplacing the paperback one I'd had for years. That was a different time, huh? Great read.