Thursday, August 6, 2009

Living It Up When I'm Going Down

Is it wrong of me to think that Steven Tyler’s fall as an Aerosmith show in South Dakota is the funniest thing I’ve seen all week?
Look, I don’t want the guy to hurt himself, but it a way I do like the idea of him going through a little bit of pain to make up for the pain that he’s helped put me through since Draw The Line.
You see, those first five albums were really good, with albums three and four (Toys In The Attic and Rocks) being totally essential.
Their decent was one of the most fabled in rock history, but Aerosmith’s resurgence in the second half of the 80’s still stand as part of their decent in my eyes. Their music became tidy, contrite, and it sold like crazy.
What Aerosmith didn’t realize was that people can spot bullshit, and Aerosmith’s late 80’s output (and beyond) is bullshit. Radio played “Cryin’, “Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” and all of those other top forty hits-but now, nobody wants to hear them.
They still want to hear Toys and Rocks, however.
Twenty years ago, they filled stadiums. Now, they play nostalgia shows at biker events. They’re not getting any younger either; Tyler looks as though his well-rehearsed spins ‘n struts now make him dizzy. And when he gets dizzy, he falls off the stage.
I’m sorry, but it’s funny to watch.
Going down.

3 comments:

Cousin J said...

I saw them in Peoria on the 'Done With Mirrors' tour when they were still using and they were awesome. I was only like 14-15 yrs old & was pretty naive as to their drug history because I was really into the So-Cal & Minneapolis punks at the time. Anyway, I 'bought' the single of 'Dream On' in '75 when I was 5 years old so I always had a soft spot for them. A friend of mine saw them on the same tour in Springfield and he said that Perry & Tyler were fighting on stage & Yyler eventually fell OFF the stage @ one point. He also said that it was a great show. That sounds like something someone needs to find video of and throw up on you tube.

Todd Totale said...

I haven't done enough drugs because I remember when you bought that. We went down to some dingy eletronics store (Clinton, IL?) and were riffling through the singles. You got that single, and I stupidly got "The Fonz Song" ("Fonz! He's our man! Fonz! Yes he can!") thinking that it was the theme song to Happy Days. We went to your place-I realized my error after we played it in your room-and I wished I would have gotten Aerosmith instead.

Cousin J said...

WOW that's awesome because I have no memory of the purchase - only that I played the shit out of it & it's b-side which was also kick ass "Somebody". Glad that you were with me even if I don't remember it.