Monday, May 14, 2007

Open Letter To Wilco

Dear Wilco:
I guess that means “Jeff Tweedy,” now doesn’t it? I mean, nobody really writes to John Stirratt, do they? I’m sure he’s a great guy and all, but let’s face it: he’s the bass player. And if he were a real thorn in your side, well shit, he’d be playing dates with Jay Bennett now wouldn’t he?
Speaking of “thorns,” there’s one that happens to be in my own side. It has to do with pre-ordering Sky Blue Sky from your online store. I’m starting to have second thoughts, you know, caught up in the moment of your juicy marketing strategy.
You offered weekly prizes to those that did a pre-order; the earlier you ordered the more chances you had to win a nifty prize. So, I did that. I ordered early. I liked the notion of possibly winning Wilco’s entire catalog on vinyl. Some of the other prizes were pretty cool too. I wouldn’t be pissed at the idea of winning all of the Wilco side project releases either, but I will admit to not really giving a shit as to what Glenn Kotche is doing during Wilco’s off months.
So anyway, I was a little put off by the exuberant shipping charges on top of a full retail price disc. Or maybe it was the “expanded” edition that caused it to be priced that high. That’s ok, I suppose; I just dropped sixteen bucks on an import copy of Captain Beefheart’s Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) plus shipping, so I suppose sixteen bucks (or whatever I paid) for Sky Blue Sky plus the “making of” DVD is a fairly decent price. It’s the cost of sticking with the dead format, I guess.
The thing is: I could’ve waited and spent twenty five bucks at Amazon and gotten Sky Blue Sky shipped to me free. I didn’t because your pre-order contest sounded pretty cool and, now that it’s becoming apparent that I’m not going to win any of the pre-order contests, I kinda wish I had waited.
Plus, there’s the fear that Sky Blue Sky is gonna suck and turn into one of those peaceful easy feelin’ kind of seventies yacht rock albums. Understand that I’m too much of a fan to just illegally download it to find out. Nope, I want to get it on the release day just like I did Synchronicity or Use Your Illusion.
I’m old school like that.
Did I mention that I saw you guys (meaning Uncle Tupelo) before you released No Depression? It’s true! I don’t know if that gives me better odds for the contest, but, I thought you should know that I’m by no means a Johnny-come-lately when it comes to your work.
So if I can’t win a contest and if I can’t get free shipping, can you just make sure that Sky Blue Sky doesn’t suck? I know it’s probably too late and all, but if you could just assure me that, no, you’re not turning into The Eagles, or worse yet, Poco, then I’d be cool with this apparent side street towards “easy rockers.”
And I know how you feel about “easy rockers.”
When the album gets here, I’ll let you know what I think about it.

Take Care,
Todd Totale

P.S.: Users are losers.

No comments: