Monday, May 14, 2007

Fonzie Fever

Today in 1976, "Fonz Song" by Heyettes hit #91 on the Billboard single charts. For those of you not familiar with this novelty tune, allow me to explain a little more about it, as the low chart position doesn't adequately demonstrate how the United States of America was completely overtaken by Fonzie Fever back in '76.
It's true: the television show Happy Days was by far the biggest television show for anyone under the age of 18 back in '76, with the possible exception of Welcome Back, Kotter (more on that later).
Happy Days was so big that American youth were pummeled with merchandising options, specifically with items that featured anything with Happy Days' main character: Arthur Fonzarelli. There was the obligatory lunch box, action figures, and t-shirts (more on that later too), but one of my favorites was an album called Fonzie Favorites.
Fonzie Favorites contained the theme song to Happy Days (including the original theme song, "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley & The Comets), several other hits from the 50's, and a few original tracks involving The Fonz himself.
Well, not really.
On the back cover for Fonzie Favorites contained the disclaimer "the last selection on this album is an 'impressionist track' containing the expressions Aaaaay, Cool, Nerd, Sit On It." That's right: the final track on the album is some guy who sounded nothing like Henry Winkler reciting some of Happy Days' most famous catch phrases.
But it gets better.
On "The Fonz Song" (yes, the one that hit #91), a trio of girls sang a song praising The Fonz ("Who's cool/Not a nerd/Quit school/Without a word") over a generic 50's sounding arrangement while the same dude who sounds nothing like the Fonz chiming in during the chorus with the occasional "Sure!" "Forever!" and "Aaaaay!"
Part of the reason why such a piece of shit song managed to hit #91 is because it was available at nearly every place that sold records back in 1976. Seriously, I bought my copy at an electronics store while visiting my cousin's house in a small town in Illinois. Even after the first spin, I knew that I had been duped.
The album also had another unusual original song: "The Fonzarelli Slide." In it, members of Laverne & Shirley and, get this, the characters from Welcome Back, Kotter interact with Fonzie. Never mind that these fictional characters resided two decades apart from each other and in two completely different cities (New York City and Milwaukee), it's even more embarrassing to hear people who sound nothing like the actual television characters trying to interpret a storyline that 1.) brings them together and 2.) makes sure to use to all of the catch phrases possible.
Obviously, Fonzie Favorites was created without any consent from the television show itself and it'd doubtful that the Fonz, Ritchie, or even Potsie saw a dime from the sale of these records. Their licensing deals probably came through more legitimate means like t-shirts, lunchboxes, whatever. After all, who had the foresight to think that characters from Happy Days would necessitate a record deal.
But back in 1976, the kids needed everything Happy Days-related. Hell, one of the most dramatic moments in my youth was the day my third grade teacher, Mrs. Inskeep, got pissed at me and grabbed me by the shirt and shook me until it ripped. The shirt in question had a bitchin' picture of The Fonz on it, a gift my parents got for me during a trip to Florida. Interestingly enough, Mrs Inskeep tried to get me to sew the damaged shirt and later lied to my parents when they questioned why their son returned from school with a completely ruined t-shirt. While I told them what had happened, she claimed that it was torn during some intense recess gameplay.
How I wished that Fonzie was there in person to protect me, just like he did when that gang went after Ritchie.
The shirt was never replaced, and Fonzie Favorites also met an early demise thanks to the same carelessness that manages to destroy virtually everything that a ten year old kid touches. But even though the physical evidence is gone, there are those mental reminders of when Happy Days ruled and how much of a cultural icon The Fonz was before he, literally and figuratively, jumped the shark.

8 comments:

norm chompski said...

Fuck. This. Shit.

Once upon a time, I was the cool guy with the magic touch that could make the hairs on your neck stand up and take your girls!

Then a little thing called "Disco" or "Grunge" or "Grisco" came along and threw a monkey wrench into that shit. I blame the Jap takeover of the business.

"Fonzie" wishes.

"KO-" to the "-KO-" to the motherfuckin "-MO," bitch!

DJMurphy said...

I still have a copy of that album, handed down from my cousin. The cover is beat to shit, the record probably has rice krispies, but let me know if you want a CD-R of this particular pop culture relic.

Anonymous said...

I also have a copy of this with a beat to shit cover. Too lazy to run upstairs and confirm but, if I remember correctly, the back cover folded out like a picture frame so you could stand up the Fonz and gaze into his eyes while you were listening. Sit on it....

Todd Totale said...

Once upon a time, I was the cool guy with the magic touch that could make the hairs on your neck stand up and take your girls! I disagree. The "could guy with the magic touch" was always Murry Wilson.
let me know if you want a CD-R of this particular pop culture relic. Fuck yeah!
the back cover folded out like a picture frame so you could stand up the Fonz and gaze into his eyes while you were listening. Yep. I first heard this at your house. Your dad had a Jim Stafford record that included "Spiders & Snakes" and a song about weed on it.

DJMurphy said...

Here's a scary acid flashback for you... that song by the Heyettes on that Fonzie comp? Turns out they did an entire album of the stuff...

Todd Totale said...

What's scary is that the "buy it now" price is $50!

Jake said...

What's really scary is I just had to talk myself out of buying it!

Todd Totale said...

Yeah, but do you have a record player to play it on?

"KO-" to the "-KO-" to the motherfuckin "-MO," bitch!
That's just awesome!