Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Birthday, Joey Ramone

A week and a half ago, I stayed up later than I should. You see, I was taking advantage of some quiet time here at the house during those hours when Mother and child were both fast asleep. It is during these times in which I listen to music without interruptions or distraction, watch what I want to watch under similar environments, update Glam-Racket, write reviews, whatever. It's my time. I do whatever the fuck I want.
Anyway, Rock And Roll High School came on around midnight, and so I invested the ninety minutes or so that it would require of me because, well because it's the fucking Ramones. Sure, I'd seen it a few times, but it's been years since I'd watched it last.
Immediately following it was the Ramones documentary Raw. I'd never seen that movie; I've heard it was good, but I never bothered to buy/rent it since I already own the documentary End Of The Century and, as good as that movie is, considered it to be the "definitive" Ramones movie.
Nonetheless, I felt obligated to the "brothers" that I should invest another ninety minutes to watch it and prepare myself for the inevitable sleep deprivation that would surely arrive the follow day.
It was worth my body's investment and it reminded me of how great they were and how unfair it is that a full 3/4 of the original members are no longer with us.
With Dee-Dee being such a beautiful fuck up and Johnny being such a frustrating Republican, it's easy to feel bad that they aren't around while feeling a little frustrated with how they both lived their lives when they were with us.
Joey, on the other hand, was a guy that you could definitely admire and champion; if there isn't a better example of someone who's life was saved by rock and roll, I'm hard pressed to name one now. Marred with physical ailments, a strange appearance, and enough misdiagnosis to almost certainly lead him down a life of unseen potential, Joey ignored his lack of musical abilities and pressed ahead with that barely visible light that rock and roll can change your life.
All of these "flaws," ironically, would lead Joey towards a place where they actually served as positive attributes. The Ramones became the perfect vehicle for him and they world became a better place because of it.
Years after his death, a street in the village of New York City was named on his behalf. Befitting, I suppose, since he ultimately helped change the course of rock and roll for the better.
Joey Ramone would have turned 55 years old tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught Rock N' Roll High School on teevee last week when I was sick in bed and it lifted my spirits like no other. I admit to shedding a tear or two when the boys were running through "Do You Wanna Dance" at the end. I miss those guys every day.

Anyway, how was Raw? Does it have any early footage? I've seen bits and pieces of their first few concerts at CB's and I'd love to see more. Should I set my DVR?

Todd Totale said...

I hear you. They were a band that you always assumed would be around, doing what they do.
Raw is good. Set the dvr. Lots of "home video" footage from Marky, who seemed to have the camera on constantly. Lots of live footage too.