Monday, January 18, 2010

The OCD Chronicles: Hairspray-"Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now"

I’ve heard this song at least ten times today. That’s on top of the dozen that I endured yesterday. This is in addition to the reality that the song may end up as the most-played song on my wife’s IPod as well as mine.
Blame my parents.
They are the ones who introduced the Hairspray musical to my daughter. At 2 ½, she doesn’t know all the words, but she can sing the phrasing and inflections, hitting the critical spots and giving a true theatric production to her performances.
“Mama, I’m A Big Girl Now” was originally restricted to my folk’s house. It was a cute little “Grandma’s House” routine, much like her princess skirt and tiara. She’d request the song and Grandma would put in the cd in their Bose Wave Radio with optional cd player. In case you’re wondering, they do sound pretty good, but I’m not convinced of the high asking price.
For Christmas, she received her own copy of Hairspray and a barely-functioning Coby cd boombox was acquired for her room. The song is now played endlessly and, on occasion, the version gets longer depending on the number of times the song skips while being played.
It’s reached an epidemic point where I’m mouthing “If I get a hickey then don’t have a cow” while also making more inappropriate lyrics that I struggle to keep out of earshot from the little girl.
As for right now, The Runaways “Cherry Bomb” remains as my IPod’s top track, but there’s a very good chance that this will change before summer returns.

3 comments:

Tanja said...

Fast forward 10 years and I'm sure you'll be getting daily doses of the 2020 equivalent of the Jonas brothers. I think that's one of the perks of being a grandparent that you can introduce the kids to things that will drive the parents crazy.

Todd Totale said...

I haven't given up yet. The second album I remember listening to at her age was Jesus Christ Superstar.

Churlita said...

My daughter was obsessed with Jesus Christ Superstar when she was in grade school. I still have a hard time getting "What's the buzz. Tell me what's-a happening?" out of my head on any given day.