Thursday, April 9, 2009

OCD Chronicles: Prince-"Sometimes It Snows In April"

The weather in the Midwest has been unpredictable this April. One day it’s in the mid-60’s and the next day it’s snowing. Prince gave me a song for that years ago on his Under The Cherry Moon soundtrack, Parade, a woefully boring movie and a criminally overlooked album.
It contains “Kiss,” which in itself is enough. But one of my favorite songs ever by Prince is tacked on the very last track of side two.
“Sometimes It Snows In April”
I didn’t notice it until years later when I saw a ballet performance set to Prince music. The performance began with a routine set to that song and it was the most lasting impression of the show for me. What makes it so unique is that it sounds different from Prince’s usual “sound,” if that’s possible, given how unpredictable he is. Upon further examination, you’ll notice that the reason for the sound difference is because the music was written by Wendy & Lisa, with Price merely contributing the lyrics. It’s the perfect song for a sudden winter storm in April and it comes up in my brain’s playlist the same time every year.
Sorry, I looked for a clip, but could find nothing but cover versions and animated tributes post-911.

No comments: