Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Kings - Amazon Beach


If you’ve never heard The Kings “Switchin’ To Glide/This Beat Goes On,” you’re missing one of the greatest pop singles of all time. High praise, I know, but I’m very serious about it and the shame is that there are a ton of people (and perhaps you’re one of them) that have no idea what I’m talking about.
The Kings were never able to turn that incredible song into a hit and the album it came from, The Kings Are Here, never got off the ground either. Truth be told, “Switchin’ To Glide/This Beat Goes On” is the best thing on The Kings Are Here, despite Bob Ezrin’s best intentions.
Yes, the man who helped make Pink Floyd’s The Wall could not save this quartet of Canadians from the undeniable fact that they suffered from a complete lack of decent material, sans that aforementioned single, of course.
It was great enough for me to notice The Kings follow-up, Amazon Beach, albeit only for the reason that it was in the cutout bin at Woolworths for just a buck. To be completely honest, the debut was mediocre enough for me to cut my losses, but a buck-a-record ain’t a bad deal, particularly if it contained a tune half as good as that first single.
Ezrin had nothing to do with the weakness of the Kings’ debut, but he sure had a hand in the second one. Fresh off the clusterfuck of Kiss’ Music From The Elder, Ezrin furthers his coke-fueled dissent with Amazon Beach. Since The Kings aren’t known as notably consistent tunesmiths, Ezrin trims the material down to a mere 8 songs and fills every nook-and-cranny of the band’s power pop sensibilities with retarded sound effects, production tricks, and overwrought arrangements that curiously try to wipe away the garage-rock upbringings that made them such a refreshing joy on the radio.
With this strangely out-of-place and unwarranted production values, Amazon Beach feels incredibly long despite its brevity. And the lyrics make the time pass even slower, with regrettable phrases like “I’ve got dual exhaust on my automobile/I use a twin blade razor cuz I like the feel” (“Got Two Girlfriends”) abounding.
The Kings were quickly dropped after Amazon Beach, and little was heard from them until the obligatory reunion shows many years after most people cared. But even during the time when people did care, it was because of that landmark first single. Amazon Beach showed us that, not only were The Kings a one hit wonder, they were a one-trick pony too, no matter how much window dressing Bob Ezrin throws on them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the Cactus Rats, one of our specialties was trashy garageified cover versions, and "Switchin/This Beat" was always a hit at party gigs. It's an amazing song/pair-of-songs, but tons of people think it's Cheap Trick :D

Todd Totale said...

That's awesome. That tune is along the same lines as "96 Tears" or "Louie Louie." It's hard to fuck up (regardless of how bad the players may be) because it's so undeniably great. Seriously, who wouldn't be proud of a line like "Nothing matters but the weekend/From a Tuesday point of view"?

Anonymous said...

I really like "...Are Here". I mean the whole damn thing. I remember you turning me on to it when it first came out and I went out and bought that mother... as a 10 year old!! So, I finally found 'Amazon Beach' on lp last summer for $2 and I don't think that the first side is too terrible and I kinda like the first track but you're correct about them just not having the songs because side 2 is, in the words of Simon Cowell, completely forgettable. I'm glad I have it because side 1 gets some play but I'm also glad I only paid $2 for it.

Todd Totale said...

You like "Partyitis?" Seriously?! I used to make fun of that title, and nobody would understand. Example: At a party or some other social drinking environment, I'd said "Shit! I think I've got partyitis!" or "You've got a bad case of partyitis!" I haven't met anyone who understood what the fuck I was talking about, which made it even funnier for me, particularly when you'd get someone to agree or, and I swear this happened, respond with "Yep! And I got the rock n roll pneumonia and boogie woogie flu, too!" BTW, one of the funniest things ever for me was that cop in Cabin Fever that kept going, "You guys like to party?"
Anyway.
I should make a Baker's Dozen on the top songs that any band should cover. "Swithchin'/Beat" should definitely be on there, along with those aforementioned titles.

Anonymous said...

Hell yes I like 'Partyitis'! It's no more ridiculous than 'Party All Night' and I love that!

Oh well I heard
That there's a thing on at Eddies
And it'll be big
Cause there's been a lot of talk
Got my wheel,
Fast is how I'm feeling
We'll grab some beer
And we'll show 'em how to rock

I've got Partyitis
Anytime night or day
I've got Partyitis
One word and we're away

So come on baby,
Come on and dance with me
You're looking lonely
And that's a bad way to be
This is a party
And I'm a party maniac
We'll get you so happy
You will never look back

P-A-R-T-Y

DJSassafrass said...

"This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide" was known as "The Friday Song" when I worked at teh Fox. If I didn't play it on my Friday shift, I got boatloads of calls and emails. Scott said that tradition would be done when I left...I'm sure it is.