Friday, April 22, 2011

Paul Westerberg Shops At Payless

Has no one caught this yet?

Paul Westerberg authorized Payless Shoes to use one of his songs to provide the soundtrack to their Spring campaign.

What a fucking sell-out!



But seriously: Good for him!

If anyone deserves to be sorely lacking in the financial department for their contributions to rock and roll music, it's Paul.

Throw Bob Mould and Grant Hart in there too.

I was surprised with the choice of songs-not due to the topic (which is perfect) but because it's from one of his most notably rougher albums. And while it's not as rough as Mono, Stereo wasn't exactly tracked at Abby Road, if you know what I mean.

I stopped in my tracks when I heard the guitar lick.

"Holy shit! That's Paul Westerberg!" I blurted out in the kitchen, overhearing the television that was on in our living room.

Nobody batted an eye because they don't care about such things. After all, Westerberg is only one of the ten best songwriters to come out of the 80's, so what's the big deal about his songs playing underneath an ad for a shoe store chain.

Poor Paul. Can't find success with some of the most moving records to come from the Twin Cities and can't find a gig with a cooler store to sell his music too.

At least he's getting paid, and putting a smile to my face when I normally wouldn't give two shits about shoes.

I got my new pair of Vans a few weeks ago, so I'm good for the summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shut the fuck up