Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Cars '78

Two great albums in a row (The Cars and Candy O), arguably three (I loves me some Panorama), The Cars were one of my favorite bands of the late 70's. I loved everything about them-the drums, the keyboard shit, those bad-assed guitars-but mostly I loved their sound.
Mostly.
Check out that awesome Dean guitar Ric Ocasek is sportin'. And it looks like he hasn't rocked a shampoo in a while.
I love how he just kicks back, chews a piece of gum, and mumbles aloud "Don't kid yourself. This is my band!"
And check out those electronic drum toms by the side of David Robinson's Singerland drum kit. I remember seeing those things at a guitar shop in Keokuk.
Then there's guitarist Elliot Easton, a lefty, standing next to Ben Orr. Ben's sporting an awesome Vox bass guitar and looks great standing next to Easton.
But the revelation here is how good they sounded live. They must have rehearsed the shit out of the first two albums to the point where they could nail it in their sleep.

4 comments:

Kiko Jones said...

They do sound great in that clip. Although, in terms of stage presence, I've been told they were incredibly boring live. (If Ocasek's "moves" are any indication...)

Jake said...

100% awesome.

Cousin J said...

Why, do you think, that they get no love nowadays? Because they were unique in sound & huge for awhile. Is it because they fell (or fall) into some no man's land between nu wave, punk & 80 alt rock? As awesome as they were, no genre seems to want to embrace them. Anyone have any thoughhts on this?

Kiko Jones said...

Cousin J, I hear people aping The Cars all the time. Then again, none of them actually acknowledge it, tho.