Monday, July 20, 2009

Hello world, I'm your wild girl!

There are moments where I don’t just feel like I’m heading for trouble with my daughter, I know it. It has nothing to do with the fact that she’ll go to her mother and ask for a cookie, get told “no” and then immediately come to seek me out because she knows that I’ll relinquish the sweet, cookie goodness for her.
It’s in her approach, you understand. The way she looks at me, smiles, and tilts her head. How can I say no?
I tell my wife if she asked me for things the same way Calli does, then she’d have a better chance of getting things too. And would it kill her to yell “Daddy’s home!” the same way Callista does when I come home?
She turned two a couple of months ago, but her musical appreciation doesn’t appear to be advancing more than simple, two-to-three chord rock songs. She’ll bop her head with other music, but it’s quite apparent when she hears something that she really enjoys.
“Again, Daddy? Play it again?”
Most recently, the song that’s been getting the most requests is The Runaways’ “Cherry Bomb.”
She’s got the chorus down pat-and because the nature of the song is about, well, female empowerment through being as sexually free as the guys are.
“Have ya, grab ya, til you’re sore!”
A close second (after falling from the number one spot for four weeks) is “Mama, I’m A Big Girl Now,” a song that she picked up from visiting her grandma (my mother). Sample lyric: “So, if I get a hickey, please don’t have a cow/’Cause mama I’m a big girl now.”
The repeated verse is, again, the chorus of “Stop! Don’t! No! Please! Mama, I’m a big girl now!” which she brings up at appropriate times, like when her mom actually is telling her “Stop! Don’t! No! Please!”
I’m telling you, this toddler knows what she’s doing.
And I know good and well where this will end up.

2 comments:

DJMurphy said...

You poor bugger. At 21 months, my own little princess is asserting what property is "MINE!!". At the moment, I fall under that property line, too.

Tanja said...

Fast forward 14 years: will it still work when she asks for a car?