Sunday, June 28, 2009

Shamoan!

I suppose it’s time to official acknowledge the death of Michael Jackson. I avoided it because 1.) I’m still sick of Thriller and 2.) He’s a fucking child molester.
Neither one of those things qualify for a brief reprieve just because he bit the dust. Dude created so much unnecessary drama that-just you watch-even his death will create a pathetic media swirl for weeks after his ticker quit.
I suppose the first exposure came at the hands of the Jackson 5, a group that even my little boy mind felt was bubblegum regardless of whether it was or not. You see, the idea of “bubblegum” music was soundly ridiculed at my home. My father once decried that I had “Sugar Sugar” by the Archies on 45, stating that it was bubblegum music and that bubblegum music didn’t qualify as “real” music. Unlike most kids today, I actually listened to my father and I quickly purged any potential music that could be viewed as bubblegum.
The trouble was that I thought that bubblegum music was something that was directly addressed to young kids, so if young kids were the ones performing the songs, then they must be creating bubblegum music.
Hence, the Jackson 5 was placed in the bubblegum category of my 5 year old brain.
Fast forward to middle school, when we all went to the YMCA to roller skate on Friday nights with fellow pre-teens. It was a chance to try and figure out the opposite sex and dance with them, although we weren’t really dancing…we were skating.
There was someone who always held the thankless job of handing out the crappy skates to everyone who didn’t own one (me) and put another 45 record on the Y’s shitty stereo system. There wasn’t a large selection that they played, but it did contain a large portion of current hits.
One of the records that got a bunch of spins was Michael Jackson’s Off The Wall. To this day, whenever I hear “Rock With You,” I think of roller skating and mustering up enough nerve to hold hands with a few flat-chested cuties while skating in circles, under the notion that we were only making sure the lasses wouldn’t fall down.
Fact is, most of the girls were twice the skaters as the guys and we were the ones doing the stumbling.
I should note that I have not skated since this time, some thirty years ago.
I was awful.
By 1982, I was in high school and a friend of mine who was a few years ahead of me decided that he would write a review of the new Michael Jackson album. Understand, this was the same dude that introduced the Scorpions to me and who tried in vain to get me to appreciate Foghat. Knowing this, I questioned why he decided to review Thriller instead of one of those badass rock platters. He advised that it was for editorial integrity and that he wanted to be a more well-rounded reviewer. He also stated that it was pretty good before adding the obligatory “for what it’s suppose to be.”
Read: it was a good pop record.
I never bought Thriller. I didn’t need to because nearly every single was a hit and because every hit got tons of airplay. Seriously, people today have no idea what a hit really is. There are number one songs out there that people don’t know anything about. I promise you that probably everyone in America back then could identify a song from Thriller because it received so much airplay throughout a variety of different formats. And when radio wasn’t doing its job, MTV devoted a ton of airtime for Michael.
Because of all of this exposure, I got sick of Thriller and of Michael Jackson. I probably enjoyed the “Thriller” video for a moment and thought his moonwalking on some awards show was kind of neat, but I never had an interest in ever actually buying the album. Nearly everyone I knew had a copy….somewhere….but it was never one that was frequently pulled out. In many cases, it became the sole cassette in the parent’s car as they made a futile attempt to stay hip.
Every subsequent release was generally dismissed, as Michael became part of the problem instead of the solution. And who was the solution? Why Guns n Roses and Nirvana of course! Anything beyond “Smooth Criminal” and that thing he did with his sister is pretty lost on me. The only thing I remember him for since then is child molestation charges and a creepy looking white dude that’s feature on some British documentary on the life of Michael Jackson.
Is it a shame that the ‘King of Pop’ is dead? Sure. He brought a lot of joy to many people and is one of the most successful artists of my time. But he also brought a lot of self-imposed drama with the fame that we provided him and he made a lot of very bad decisions in the process. I don’t pretend to know what it’s like to have that level of fame, but I do know that his fame had nothing to do with his ability to discern between right and wrong. And for a large part of his life, a lot of what he did was very wrong.

5 comments:

Tanja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanja said...

I never was too impressed by anything he did. What is disturbing is all those fans who stuck by him after the first accusations of child abuse, let alone the second. Between those accusations,his apparent plastic surgery addiction, and just plan bizarre antics I just didn't pay him much attention. Gotta feel bad for "his" 3 kids, I would think that they will need some serious therapy.

Kiko Jones said...

Let me try to be objective: I don't know if MJ actually molested those kids or not; someone with naive at best, and incredibly inappropriate behavior regarding children not his own at worst (and filthy rich), was bound to be a target for accusations of that nature. And he was acquitted, the second time. Unfortunately, now he's not around to defend himself anymore.

As regards his musical output I wasn't a fan but enjoyed quite of a few cuts from both MJ solo and with his brothers. His music brought a lot of joy to many people and he is undoubtedly one of the all-time greats.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, like many of us did with Ike Turner, we should acknowledge both sides but not let one aspect of his life eclipse the other and fall on either side of the sensationalistic brouhaha. RIP.

Todd Totale said...

Here's my problem. I believe that MJ during the first accusation had enough to afford the most capable attorney that money could possibly buy. That lawyer could have created enough doubt to completely exonerate him. Jackson chose to pay off the victim to "put it all behind him" without considering what this would do to his reputation. I don't think Jackson was stupid and, more importantly, I don't believe those who were assisting him with that case were dumb either. I don't think they believed that they could win the case if it went to trial.
And if he indeed wanted to put it all behind him, why did he continue with behavior that he knew could lead to additional accusations? To be naive is one thing, but I feel that this is a clear sign that he has a problem with children. And because he has gotten away with it before, he believes that he can do it again. And yes, he did do exactly that.
But what's striking to me is, in all of the years and in all of the opportunities to defend himself, not once does he passionately declare "I did not do this!" He's stated things like "Michael Jackson does not do this" and "I am innocent" which could provide anyone with half an interest in human psychology a field day of things to ponder. Did Michael Jackson not do it, but some other part of personality? Is he not innocent in his mind, but guilty in the minds of others? Add to this the years of blatant fabrications about his physical transformation, his relationship with women, and in the entire aspect of his children. There is deception in his words and my fear is that this deception runs deeper and is much more sinister. Read the transcripts of every interview he's conducted concerning this. You'll see cleverly structured responses, a ton of pleas for sympathy, and a lot of vague answers. What you won't see is just one passionate reply that conveys the kind of shock and anger that you or I would display if we were accused of something so dispicable, and we were innocent of those accusations.

Kiko Jones said...

What you won't see is just one passionate reply that conveys the kind of shock and anger that you or I would display if we were accused of something so dispicable, and we were innocent of those accusations.

Like I said, I truly don't know what happened w/those kids--I can't commit either way--but I suspect that in his tortured mind MJ thought he himself was a child.

Which is why you or I would react with "shock and anger" to those kinds of accusations. We act w/propriety around children because as grown men we know better. Otherwise, we're either fucked in the head or pedophiles. Or both. And that is what is at the crux of the MJ dilemma.

Even a cursory look at his private life as an adult shows clear indications of wanting to be the (regular) child he never actually got to be. Hanging w/kids, building a theme park home, etc etc etc. Pedophiles don't want to be children or hang w/them; just molest them.

Of course, that's just my opinion.