Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Pat Benetar

Do I admit to you that I owned not one, but each one of Pat Benatar's first four albums? It's true, I loved Pat Benatar as a kid, from In The Heat Of The Night all the way to Get Nervous. By the time she did "Love Is A Battlefield," I had enough.
I belive she had, what music experts call, a "mezza soprano" range. All I know is that it kicked ass.
The moment she took her four octive range and began putting it to use on trip like "Battlefield" and the tune from The Legend Of Billy Jean was the moment that I stopped caring.
Were the albums any good? That's a matter of debate. Crimes Of Passion was the best of the four. It had "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and at least an album side worth of good tunes. The others probably had just a few decent tracks with a bunch of filler thrown in. I remember thinking this too when I originally was hip to everything Benetar.
Mrs. Geraldo is 56 years old today, and she still has huge teeth.
Before she struck it big in music, Pat Benatar killed Nazis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kid you not, I was thinking the other day..."Why no rock nostalgia love for Pat Benetar?" I mean, she was huge in the 80's and not in a teen bubblegum pop way. Wasn't she? We have a copy of Pat Benetar greatest hits and it's pretty damn good. I may sound like I'm getting old here but, especially when compared to any chick singer in the 90's & 00's. Amy Lee or whatever her name is (Can't even think of the bands name & too lazy too look up.) has no range or real power in her voice compared to Pat. & I'm not talking growly metal chicks here either cause they are a joke and will be shown to be in 10 years. Yeah, I'm talking to you Kittie. So, I ask again where's the national/international Pat Benetar love? I'm not sayin she needs to be worshipped as a groundbreaking artist but she consistently rocked her skinny ass off for a good chunk of time and her voice was cool. Amazing to think how some artists who are so huge in their time can be almost completely forgotten within 20 years & don't deserve it while others won't leave us alone. Talkin to you Poison.