Monday, September 15, 2008

Flood Gate

If dealing with the devastating power of hurricane Ike wasn’t bad enough, residents now contend with the aftermath. Part of that cleanup is also dealing with the dozens of caskets and tombs that were uprooted thanks to the floodwaters.
One of the caskets that made its way up to the surface was that of blues legend Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown.
Somewhere, I still have the dollar bill that Mr. Brown signed for me, because it was the only thing I could find for him to sign when I saw him perform over twenty years ago.
He was awesome, and he didn’t take much shit from anyone; I remember that the bartender left the television on behind the bar as Clarence was getting ready to perform. He went on stage, took a seat and lit a pipe. Noticing the offending distraction, Brown yelled at the bartender to “Turn off that damn television!”
The bartender obliged.
The Gate rocked.

No comments: