Saturday, August 30, 2008

OCD Chronicles: Black Sabbath "Children Of The Sea"

I’ve pretty much exhausted this topic, but I’m still in full R.J.D. mode and “Children Of The Sea” continues to channel itself in my head. Even one of the supervisors of work mentioned “You’re still buzzing with that Judas Priest show, aren’t you?” until I corrected him with “Actually, it’s the Sabbath set that’s still going around.”
So, at the most inappropriate moments, I blurt out “Look out! The sky is falling!” or sing to my daughter “Pooh Bear says that it’s over.”
I swear to God that the lyrics, as hilariously overreaching as they might be, serves as a metaphor for full on rock shows the way the used to be and should be. Look, I have no issues with the current state of metal and even those acts that I find unappealing. But there has got to be a market for big, dumb, over-the-top bands that are sincere in their deliverance of said topics.
Where are the modern-day Sabbaths, Scorpions, Maidens?
Shit, where are the farm-leagues of these bands?
I don’t believe for a moment that Avenged Sevenfold, The Darkness, et all give two shits about the themes they ape. I think that it’s a matter of irony for them, and even the dumbest of metalheads can figure out when you’re making fun of them.
But I’m totally sincere when I say that “Children Of The Sea” is an awesome song that takes on new meaning when one contemplates the future of arena metal.

No comments: