Friday, July 27, 2007

Superstars Of Country

Obsession rears its ugly head again as I’m struggling to maintain rational thought, particularly considering the financial limitations that child-rearing brings. In other words: I don’t have a lot of money to blow on cds these days. This is troubling because I’m totally fixated on acquiring Time Life’s Superstars of Country series and I’ve been able to locate a few fairly economical outlets (read: Ebay) that offer this 10 cd set at prices substantially less than what one pays on those half hour infomercials. It’s the one with the freaky looking Kenny Rogers, in case you’re wondering.
What draws me to it is how utterly complete it seems to be. Virtually every single country radio hit from the late 60’s, the 70’s and early 80’s are included on it, which means that a fairly large chunk of childhood memories could be found in that set.
Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge fan of country music growing up. At the same time, you can’t live in Iowa, or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter, and be somewhat exposed to country music. For me, it was those week-long trips to the Grandparents every summer, isolated in the airwave fringe of a Midwestern small town. It was the AM radio drift of the car rides when the top 40 stations became overrun with static, and that subtle influence that happens when you’re barely paying attention.
By the time I get over the fact that Kenny Roger’s face is now completely devoid of expression, I start to fixate on how I need to have Superstars Of Country.

No comments: