Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rock And Roll Bucket List

My cousin and I have been discussing rock and roll bucket lists, essentially a running tally of artists/bands that we need to see before we or the artist pass away. I remember drawing up similar lists when I was a teenager, but you have your entire life ahead of you-so, you don’t really consider the finality of life when you’re drawing up those kinds of lists.

That may explain why my list always contained Jethro Tull

I wish I was joking about that.

I actually saw a Jethro Tull concert a few months ago on DirecTV’s 101 Channel, and I can safely say that my need to see them live is now completely gone. But back when they all wore white jumpsuits, boy, look out.

The funny thing is that as you get older, you can actually manage to see those artists you’ve held dear, and in the meantime, you get to see bands that maybe aren’t on your list at all, but then become so revered-or break up and then become revered that you crossed them off your lists before they actually got on.

Case in point for me: The Smiths, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pink Floyd (sadly, minus Waters), Husker Du, The Soft Boys, The Residents, Johnny Cash, I could go on…

It seemed peculiar that I was having difficulty coming up with a substantial list. Was I so old that I’d seen everyone that I really wanted/needed to see? How sad!

In fact, that really isn’t the case. The truth is that I wasn’t looking hard enough. I’d completely forgotten about a lot of country artists still on the road today that I really need to hustle on, mainly because of encroaching age limitations.

George Jones is still out there, but the last conversation I’d heard from him, I could tell by his speaking voice that he’s probably a shell of what he was able to do just a half decade ago.

Loretta Lynn may in the same league, I’m afraid.

The question then becomes, do I sacrifice quality just for the sake of saying “I saw XX live?”

The answer is harder than you think.

Roger McGuinn of The Byrds came through the area recently, and while the announcement arrived many months ago, I procrastinated for no really good reason other than I could. This classic link in the history of rock music evidently (and unfairly) wasn’t on many people’s “bucket list” when he very much should be.

Brian Wilson is also making the rounds this summer and he’s coming to a very intimate venue a few hours away-a venue that has the distinction of being the last ballroom that Buddy Holly played in over five decades ago.

Surely, I’d be a fool not to see a legend like Wilson in an equally legendary venue, right?

Age and responsibility are also a factor. As ridiculous as the argument is, I still know how long it takes to recover from a late night, particularly when I’m forced to work the very next day. I save those challenging days for only the best of shows-those performers that I know I simply must see regardless of the recovery period.

The last show that fit that description was Dungen.

I know you’re thinking, “This is Brian Wilson!” and I understand that. But have you seen Brian Wilson lately? Have you heard how shot his voice is? While he may have a shit hot backing band that carefully considers every note, we still have a legend with a limited vocal capacity AND he’s touring behind Gershwin material that, at the risk of getting slammed, I could care less about.

Gimmie Smile, gimmie Pet Sounds or gimmie something that reminds me of his legend as he approaches retirement.

As fickle as that may sound, I’ve got to believe that I’m not alone.

Here’s an excerpt of the conversation that my cousin and I had about this very topic recently. We pick up at the point I’m looking at the local rock calendar and discover a band with an awesome name is coming to town.

Totale: Local band name, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.Cousin J: I’ve heard of them and started seeing their name. Pretty sure they’re playing Lollapalooza. No clue what they sound like but I love it…
Totale: Wow! I just assumed they were local as they’re playing in Iowa City next month.
Cousin J: No, they’re up and coming for sure. Not sure where they’re from. Probably North Carolina! It would be better if it was actually Dale’s band that he played in between races!

At this point, I check to see the seat availability of Roger McGuinn’s show.

Totale: McGuinn’s show is only half-full. I got to pick my own seat! Did you know one of his solo albums from the 70’s was produced my Mick Ronson?
Cousin J: Yeah. It’s still weak-ass 70’s soft rock. Hope it’s a great show. Shame it’s not selling. Bad marketing?
Totale: Probably. It (the theatre) was refurbished a few years ago and they’re only now opening it up to music beyond classical and jazz. They don’t want Byrds fans ripping out the seats.
Cousin J: Or pooping on their seats like Brian Wilson.
Totale: Just read “…Bowie would simulate fellatio on Ronson’s guitar as he played. They forgot to add, “while McGuinn attacked the anus.”
Cousin J: McGuinn is playing in Chicago on June 3rd with 80% of the seats still available. 2nd row center seats are still available for $30 bucks…shame…Rave reviews for his recent shows too.
Totale: That’s sad. Meanwhile, those fucks from The Eagles still command $100 for nosebleed seats, just so you can hear “Take It To The Limit” for the millionth time.
Cousin J: The Brian Wilson shows are being billed as ‘Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin.' So no Beach Boys stuff. That might make your decision easier. Meanwhile, The Beach Boys’ Smile will be released in a 2 cd set later on this year. No joke. The original one with outtakes and extras…Actually, the Brian Wilson show in Chicago is advertised as his greatest hits. I may go! Tickets are very expensive, so probably not. $75 for 10th row center. Are these two bucket list guys? Maybe I shouldn’t even be questioning price.
Totale: Do you really need to be that close just to see him sing out of the side of his mouth? Macca’s a bucket list artist and I’d definitely pay a bundle for him.
Cousin J: No, but it’s only a $10 difference between that and the balcony. You could probably close your eyes and it would sound like the Beach Boys. His website has setlists and it looks awesome if you can get through an hour of Gershwin which he IS doing.
Totale: I see why it’s (McGuinn in Iowa City) not selling well. The kids are seeing the Sea and Cake are playing at another club the same night. They’re ok, but I don’t see them inventing a GENRE!
Cousin J: Not necessarily the same demographic though. I’m not giving the Sea and Cake that much credit. I’m still blaming piss poor advertising. There’s no reason that several radio stations shouldn’t be selling ‘American Rock Icon Roger McGuinn’ to listeners.

I confess, I don’t listen to radio much-outside of public radio, anyway-so I have no idea if this show was effectively promoted or not. Truth be told, I don’t know how effective radio is anyway, but I'm only basing this on personal experience.

The point is, and the question is presented, how far will your tolerance go when seeing a bucket list performer live? Will you dig deeper in your wallet? Will you sacrifice your quality at work or risk getting written up at work just so that you can see a bucket list show?

Share your own bucket list performers, I'm curious.

By definition, the artist/band has to be actively touring or performing with some regular frequency. For example, Kate Bush would be towards the top of my list and there are rumors of her returning to the stage. I've hinted at my commitment if that tour does happen, even considering a quick trip overseas if a North American tour isn't part of the package.

At the same time, the only reason why I haven't seen #1 on my own bucket list is pure economics. I simply couldn't find the time off to see Paul McCartney and, more to the point, I simply couldn't afford his asking price. Meanwhile, I've pissed away plenty at other shows, and yes, they've been bucket list artists too.

Totale's Current Bucket List:
1.) Paul McCartney
2.) Radiohead
3.) George Jones
4.) Uli Jon Roth
5.) Black Sabbath (original line-up)
6.) Widespread Panic
7.) The Pretenders
8.) Burning Spear
9.) The Cure
10.) The Fall

No comments: