Sunday, October 18, 2009

You Can Never Go Home

I wish I could adequately tell you how awesome my hometown was growing up. It had its share of typical small town bullshit, but there was moments of joy. In fact, there was a point in the mid-90's when I thought the town may be on a the brink of a turnaround.
As we entered into a new century, I understood that it wasn't to be.
It's been a year since I've been to my hometown-ironically to help my parents move, thereby ensuring that any real return home would come to an end. It's just as well as those who remain there seem content on watching the town deteriorate. Each time I did manage to go back it became frustrating watching neighborhoods crumble and the exodus of families leave for better opportunities.
It was like seeing an old girlfriend, one who developed a nice meth addiction since you saw her last.
But I remember when she was cute, just like her funny name.

No comments: