Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I'm Such A Hairy Guy

The musical Hair opened on this day in 1968.
I’m not a huge fan of musicals. I’m taking my wife to Rent in a few days for a tidy sum, but she likes musicals and I’m sure that I’ve dragged her to a few things on my behalf.
At the same time, there are two musicals that have served as major influences with me, particularly in regards of my early musical development. Jesus Christ Superstar was one musical and Hair was the other.
My parents had a habit of leaving me with records and allowing me to absorb them in solitude. I swear that I learned a few words by listening to Meet The Beatles, Beggar’s Banquet and these aforementioned musicals. While Jesus Christ Superstar may have taught me a little bit about religion, Hair taught me about some things that, and I’m speaking as a parent now, are questionable considering my age at the time.
I re-purchased Hair in college, having not heard it for a few decades, and was surprised at how blatant, how graphic, the songs were and how so much must have passed over my head. It is the type of album that I wouldn’t allow my five year old listen to, even though I was three years old at the time I heard it first.

No comments: