Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy Birthday: Gordon Lightfoot

I had no idea that Gordon Lightfoot was that old.
I mean, older than Dio old.
Yet this Canadian troubadour keeps touring his wares, even though I can’t think of a single album he’s done since Summertime Dream, and that’s gotta be over thirty years old.
When that album came out, it freaked the fuck out of one of my parent’s friends who happened to be in the Coast Guard stationed in K-Town. As ironic as it may seem, he was indeed transferred later on to a point off the big lake they call “Gitche Gumee.”
So I did a little bit of research after learning that the dude was pushing seventy and found that, holy shit, Gordon Lightfoot released a bunch of albums after I stopped caring and after he fell off the radar completely.
And I learned the dude was in a coma for a couple of months a few years ago.
And her suffered from Bell’s Palsy in ’72, which left his face partially paralyzed (it got better).
Clearly, there’s a bunch about Gordon Lightfoot that I needed to learn.
But then I realized that “The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald,” “Sundown” and maybe “Carefree Highway” is probably all I need to know about ol’ Gordo.
Still, the coma thing is pretty cool.

Gordon Lightfoot was born on November 17, 1938

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck. That dude is old.

Anonymous said...

I have Rhino's versio of his greatest hits and it's got a few really cool tunes outside of the one's normally played on radio. Once in a while I'll do like a general check who's coming to the Chicago area (meaning I'm not looking for any specific band/artist, just checking by date to see if anything looks interesting on my days off of work) and Gordon Lightfoot's name pops up. Well, after getting over the sticker shock of his ticket prices, they were-no shit-at least $50 a piece before ticketmaster taxed the crap out of them, I see that the 3000 seat show has sold out in like less than a week. Apparently Gord's Gold is still getting spins in more than a few households.