Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A to the D - The Renegade Jew

I saw some fucked up shit during my time in radio (seeing Question Mark’s tighty whities bunched over the waistband of his gold lamé pants), but I heard even more fucked up shit.
In addition to the major label stuff we received at the station, we’d also get a lot of independent stuff too. And I’m not talking SST or Touch & Go indie; I’m talking shit like Timmy T and worse, stuff on the verge of obscene in terms of its limited budget artwork and barely out of the basement production values.
While I understand that this sort of homespun thing is the stuff of screenplays (Coal Miner’s Daughter immediately comes to mind), the reality is much different. 99.9% of the shit is exactly that: feces. I mean the worst music that you could ever imagine at times.
And then there were those songs that were so bad that they were awesome.
There was one song that came to mind recently, to the point where I’m not even sure what parts of my memory were fabricated over time and which ones were legitimate.
One such trainwreck of a song ran across my desk in the early 90’s. The artwork seemed to promote the notion that the music was from the country’s first hardcore Jewish rapper. The music seemed to promote the notion that this was anything but the first hardcore Jewish rapper. The song, “The Renegade Jew” was the world’s first Jewish comedy album that was un-intentially conceived as a rap album
The artist, known as A To The D, later proved to be much too old to be dabbling in rap music and judging from the lyrical content of “The Renegade Jew” he wasn’t much of a wordsmith either.
With lines that try to balance between violent bravado and sexual superiority, the lyrics “When I was born they cut an inch off my dick/That’s sick!/Still it’s really thick” have haunted me for over a decade now.
So I scoured the internet for some evidence about this forgotten radio promo jem and learned that my memory was fairly on: there was a “Renegade Jew” and he was known as A To The D. I also learned that the dude was much too old to be doing that shit.
I also learned that the motherfucker ended up in the joint, which may actually add a little to the thug factor.

From "The Black Table"

He'd developed the handle of "A-to-the-D," a kind of alternative to the nickname
"Awesome Dave" he'd earned while knocking out opponents in Gleason's Gym. Rude
Boy Records, a small label that was negotiating with Wu-Tang Clan in their early
days, opted to release "The Renegade Jew" since Lawrence had the ability to pay
for his own press and publicity. Lawrence wrote countless personal checks in
order to bring his new hobby to the masses.
"I spent roughly $300,000 of my own money trying to do it; my wife thinks I spent more," Lawrence said.
He promoted the crap out of his EP. He appeared on Crazy Sam's video music show
with Naughty By Nature, Doug E. Fresh, Fat Joe, Biz Markee, Method Man and
Redman. He also appeared on New York's Hot 97 radio with Snoop Doggy Dogg. He
had advertisements in The Source and struck a deal with SPIN magazine to send
off a copy of "The Renegade Jew" to all their subscribing households on Long
Island. There was no commercial success, but Lawrence said he did receive plenty
of letters from kids inviting him to perform at their bar mitzvah parties.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just knew when you wrote that The Renegade Jew got popped that it would be for tax evasion.

The Renegade Jew is in the fuckin' House!

Todd Totale said...

The renegade Jew
The renegade Jew
The renegade Jew
He's comin' after you!

Anonymous said...

A to the D can suck a space suit fart... he owes me like $550.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on this record in a used shop today and decided to buy it because my collection of middle-aged long island Jewish rap was severely lacking. It lived up to the hype with lines like this:

"brain of Einstein, quite intellectual
Far from the usual, I'm not from Israel
A to the D won't cling to the static
Got an automatic for the anti-Semitic."

Nice.

Anonymous said...

i'll bust his chops, my style is orthodox while i eat bagels and lox

fuck yes

Anonymous said...

the masta plan remix is sick.