Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bright Eyes - Four Winds


It’s not that I hate Conor Oberst. It’s just that I envy him. At the tender age of 27, his talents are well documented and his praises are equally renowned. When you start dealing with emotions like this, you then begin to look for additional reasons not to like him: privileged upbringing, a well organized scene to pull talent from, a tendency to overload each song with excessive arrangements and compulsive word-play. None of this, of course, are legitimate reasons to fault the kid and none of this has any bearing on how gifted he is.
Four Winds is a “teaser” e.p. that prefaces the full-length Cassadaga scheduled to be released next month. The title track, a fine fiddle-tinged country rock romp, represents the first single from that album while the remaining five tracks collect outtakes from the recording sessions. That also means that “Four Winds” is, indeed, the best thing on this e.p.
And you probably know that Oberst’s leftovers are better than most artists’ main course.
It’s a relief, however, to admit that none of the tracks here demonstrate any evidence of genius or artistic brilliance, title track included. There’s better examples in his cannon that will surely knock your socks of but, with that being said, Four Winds won’t prevent you from seeking them out either.
Taking any release that fills the majority of its track listings with outtakes presents its own grain of salt, for sure, but I count two of them (“Smoke Without Fire,” “Stray Dog Freedom”) that would be worthy enough for a “real” effort.
“Smoke Without Fire,” a heavily reverbed ballad, benefits with some excellent guest work from M. Ward and right around the moment you realize how great the track is, it ends.
“Stray Dog Freedom” presents Oberst and company in Wilco country-rock territory, and while it doesn’t sound as genuine as the reference, it’s a pleasurable exercise nonetheless with a nice Neil Young inspired guitar solo.
The remaining three tracks (“Reinvent The Wheel,” “Cartoon Blues” and “Tourist Trap”) sound like outtakes and won’t make converts out of the new arrivals or satisfy the long-standing supporters.
One surprise is how poorly sequenced the e.p. is. While the six tracks of Four Winds are fairly independent of each other musically, and considering that you have to have the “single” tracked out of the gate, it doesn’t make sense how they came up with the running order for the remaining five. I suppose it’s fairly irrelevant nowadays anyway, as most kids don’t concern themselves with track sequencing, choosing to hit “shuffle” on their portable players instead.
I think Oberst knows that his accolades contribute to a certain degree of dissention among music fans like himself. In the video for “Four Winds,” he plays on a stage in front of a silent crowd before they start to boo and throw objects at him while he performs. His astute observation of how he’s perceived doesn’t help much with my own envy. Like his songs, the video is pretty awesome too.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has no relevance to Bright Eyes or Connor Oberst. I have never heard either and have no desire to. I'm not into whiney bitches. I just wanted to let you know that I read your review of Deerhunter (a band i'd never heard of) over at Glono and listened to the track you linked to and thought that it was fantastic. I'm interested in hearing more.

Todd Totale said...

I hear you. Oberst can be a handfull, which is why I liked the video for "Four Winds." But he's a talented fucker who writes some great shit, so I'm continually torn between liking him and being bothered by him at the same time.
Deerhunter is a tough listen. That track you heard is from "side two" if such a thing exists anymore. Side one is a ton more challenging and (my thoughts) a lot more enjoyable. What I'm saying is that the song you heard is totally different from the first half.

Anonymous said...

I shall keep that in mind if I ever hear the full Deerhunter. I also like the story of the albums creation. I actually found it inspiring. I think that a lot of solo artists who record at home or unsigned/indie bands might be able to relate a little to being under the gun in terms of getting the music recorded. Also, I really liked the Richard Buckner song from your latest review and, in particular, liked his voice. I don't know if all of his stuff is like this but it seems like he has the kind of voice that would make me want to actually listen to the lyrics to see what he was saying.