Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bob Dylan-Street Legal


I've become a supporter of the theory that every real fan of rock and roll will, sooner or later, discover Bob Dylan. I know there's lots of rock music supporters than can only handle him in small doses and are perfectly content with greatest hits packages. I'm also aware that there's a lot of music lovers that can't get beyond the voice and don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Then there are those that find a Bob song, or find several, that just speak to them.
Then all hell breaks loose.
I mean, his catalog is too daunting to completely absorb, right?
Plus, there's the obvious concern that his catalog contains some duds, and who wants to fall into an album that is poorly executed and could possibly tarnish your entire appreciation of him?
When you start with the obvious choices (Highway 61 Revisited, Blood On The Tracks, Blonde On Blonde, etc.) you know, or should know, that you're getting into acknowledged landmarks. So what about those lesser known titles like Slow Train Coming, Empire Burlesque, or Planet Waves?
Christmas is a great way to discover these titles; simply put 'em on your Christmas list, find 'em under the tree and if they reek, you're out nothing.
The only thing to contend with: will your opinion of Bob change if you hit that bummer elpee?
I intended to find out, starting with Street Legal.
Released in 1978, Street Legal came immediately after the one-two punch of Blood On The Tracks and Desire, both excellent endeavors and both hard to top.
The first thing you notice with Street Legal is how different it sounds from the aforementioned efforts. Thick with slick production and unnecessary horns and over-the-top backing vocals, it's an album that probably sounded better in rehearsal and on the demo reels.
Lyrically, Dylan has compiled another batch of winning material, but it's hard to focus on it as the arrangements are too busy to remain focused.
"New Pony" is a great number with a blues-y feel and the opener "Changing Of The Guards" possess enough imagery to contend with some of his mid-60's masterstrokes. It takes a while to get there, and I can't blame anyone without the necessary patience to get there.
So Street Legal isn't bad enough for me to step away from delving further into the Dylan cannon, but it's uneventful enough for even the most ardent Bob fan to admit there's not a lot here to return back to examine again.
Street Legal is merely an interstate you'll use to get to his next important work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know there's lots of rock music supporters than can only handle him in small doses and are perfectly content with greatest hits packages. I'm also aware that there's a lot of music lovers that can't get beyond the voice and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

And then there are some people who just prefer to listen to people who win game shows. Whatever, I guess.

I've also started getting back into Dylan recently, picking up a copy of New Morning (and yes I did it after catching a little of The Big Lebowski). Although an early track features some (ugh!) scatting, I found a lot to love about a few songs including the title track. Any suggestions for somebody interested in later, Lazy Bob? I mean I like his early stuff too, but heavy rotation has ruined a lot of that music for me. Something with a lot of down-tempo prettiness would be nice.

Todd Totale said...

New Morning was going to be my next jump! And for the same reason you listed (Lebowski). I was also going to check out Planet Waves which was, no shit, Dave Clark's favorite Dylan release. That's probably why it's taken me over a decade to consider spinning it.
You're talking with someone who only recently became ready for Bob's work in the 70's. The 1975 Bootleg Series disc is awesome; it made me want to look at Bob's material from that decade and it's unlike any live document that I've heard him do.
An album that some dismiss but I really enjoy is Infidels. It's his first album after hanging out with Christ, and there's some good songs on it. Full disclosure though: the dude from Dire Straits produced it, so he's on it and the production itself is pretty cold.
I kinda liked Oh Mercy too.

Todd Totale said...

The way Bobby goes "I can here that lonesome whistle blow!!" ("Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You") from that Rolling Thunder Revue disc is just great. Check it out if you haven't already.
And avoid the reviews on Amazon. I read the one for Street Legal, put it on my wish list there and received it as a gift over the holidays. Those reviews are generally made by fanboys with no basis in reality. Christ, I'm willing to bet they loved Dylan & The Dead which is so bad, I didn't listen to another new Dylan release until Time Out Of Mind

Anonymous said...

I love 'Infidels' and never really knew anyone else who liked it until I met the dude who was the best man in my wedding - which is why he got the gig...kidding. I'm in the same camp of digging the newer stuff, but have held off on purchasing any of the older stuff because of radio overkill. One exception, a friend in in high school had 'Pat Garret and Billy the Kid' on lp and we listened to it a few times while firing up the herb. I recall liking it and hope that when I hear it again I won't think..."Man, I must have been fucked up."