Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Murry Wilson-I'm A Genius, Too!

Lately, I've been fixated with what's become the most talked about Beach Boys recording since the original Smile sessions: the initial recordings of the song "Help Me Rhonda." The date was January 8, 1965, when Murry Wilson, Father of Beach Boys' Brian, Carl, and Dennis Wilson, stops by the recording studio where Brian and the boys are in the middle of recording their hit "Help Me Rhonda." Feeling a little left out, and feeling the effects of several rum and Cokes, Murry proceeds to take over the sessions by offering his expert advice ("Loosen up and be happy!") and drunken wisdom ("I have 3,000 words to say: Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts...So you're big stars. Let's fight! Let's fight for success!").

Brian Wilson, who we've all treated as a damaged genius, is clearly in full possession of his sanity here and even mildly challenges his Father's drunken nonsense. It's funny, and a creepy look into the dynamics of The Beach Boys at the height of their career. What's amazing is that the band was even able to make music with this kind of bitter megalomaniac bum rushing their talents.
Learn more, and download the sessions from the awesome site WFMU's Beware of the Blog.

3 comments:

DJMurphy said...

This shit is just too bizarre to believe. I mean, I *do* believe it, but I thank God that my dad was nothing like that.

The Peter Bagge cartoons are pretty wild, too... definitely worth watching!

Todd Totale said...

I've posed this elsewhere, but I'm already starting to incorporate Murryisms in my everday conversations.
Examples:
Work-"As a team, we're unbeatable"
Kid-"You cannot compete with the brains that are trying to hurt you" and "Let's fight for success!" (usually when trying to dress him in the morning)
SLF-"Rhonda you look so FINE!"
It works. Try it out!

DJMurphy said...

LOL, yeah, you nailed me with one on the GloNo board... a Murry-ism.