Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It's Not Jackie Chan

Much to my wife's dismay, the 3rd season of Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! came in from Netflix the other day and has taken over the bedroom DVD player. That means she has to watch Glee downstairs while I'm in seclusion in our bedroom.
My favorite moment is found below, in a skit that had me laughing to tears while my wife, who came in when this segment was playing, just looked at me straight-face, wondering why I thought it was so funny.

Maybe you're the same way.


For me, the humor is two-fold.

Firstly, I love it when humor goes past the point of being funny into that strange realm of uncomfortableness or outright irritation. Like the time at a California Angels game, when a friend of mine kept repeating "Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks" over and over until the two guys we were with actually bought him some peanuts and Cracker Jacks just to see if it would shut him up.

Or the time when E was little and didn't know that the DVD player had a repeat function on it. He was watching an Elmo video and there was a cartoon segment with a kid in a wheelchair that sang "I have a chair! It helps me to get around!" I hit repeat and that thing played over and over at least three dozen times before he looked at me while I stood in another room crying from laughter.

"Daddy, the tv's broken!"

When he noticed that I was laughing, he understood that it was me that made it play "I have a chair" incessantly, and then, the joke could never be repeated again.

But another thing that makes the Tim and Eric skit so funny is how the battery starts to go dead on the buzzer while the camera zooms in on the man's face as it turns from a smile to a menacing stare.

Great job!

2 comments:

Tanja said...

Ok I did laugh, not to tears but still. I also get a kick out of things that start as funny and then move to being so ridiculous that that in itself is funny.

Todd Totale said...

Why can't you get one thing right, Tanja?