Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Raw Power Reissues

Where does one start when jumping into The Stooges?
For me, it began with Raw Power.
The original mix.
Bad choice.
At least for a little bit. I kept reading how great it was and I stuck with it. I went beyond the weird mix placement-chocked it up to Bowie inexperience at not knowing what to do with such primordial ooze-and I listened to what was taking place individually.
Crunching guitars?
Check.
End of days vocals?
Check.
Everything else, well, I guess I'll have to wait for the reissue.
I can't believe it's been over a dozen years since Iggy re-wrote the album with a brand new mix. It totally rules by the way-I wish I would have had it when I first bought it-because it turns everything up to eleven and sounds as close to the real thing that we can probably get.
But there's something endearing about that original mix, the way it sounds unlike anything you've ever heard before and it just barks at you for a half-hour. Without understanding a word or figuring out a note of what's being played, you just know that The Stooges circa 1973 is suffering from serious brain damage.
Either mix is essential, just get the damn thing already.
Or if you're like me, buy it again.

No comments: