Sunday, April 22, 2012

Record Store Day Postview


I put back a picture disc single for the new Cult single on the grounds that I’m not confident of their output any longer (and probably haven’t been since Sonic Temple) and I returned the “Diddy Wah Diddy” single by Captain Beefheart because I already have that on vinyl somewhere. I passed on the other Flaming Lips release because I refuse to say “Fwends” and because they’ve released nothing but rare nonsense for an entire year now. Time to let the other bands have some fun, fellas.
“I knew you’d make it, man!” a smiling Kirk Walther greeted me as I approached the counter at the Record Collector store in Iowa City. A line extended around the used cd center piece where a few dozen patrons waited patiently to be checked out. It was the kind of business that any store owner would smile over, each customer clutching what they managed to stumble upon.

I arrived about 15 minutes after the store opened for Record Store Day, a clear admission of defeat as I knew there would be a lot more devotees than I could claim. I was there before I was last year, which found me scavaging the leftovers, but still satisfied for showing up.

RSD 2012 found me bringing a wish list, but understanding that I’d probably come up short on more than a few of my items.

“We just sold that one.” Walther relayed, pointing to the T-Rex 6 X 7” box set of T-Rex’s Electric Warrior that was on my hand-written list. I’ve had three copies of this record at some point in my life, so I wasn’t too worked up that I missed out on another version of it.

Feistodon was sold out and they didn’t stock a copy of the 10” live e.p. from The Knack. I made up for it with a pink and white tie-dye version of The MC5’s “Kick Out The Jams.” It was the old Elektra singles label that sealed the deal. Well, that and the fact that Africa Bambaattaa’s version is on the flip, complete with the old Tommy Boy label.

“There’s still a few copies left of that Iggy record in the center section in back.” He offered. When I went back to snag a copy, I noticed the vinyl version of the new Dr. John record. It was like this all morning, I’d look for something on my list and I’d even up with something that wasn’t on it in addition to whatever I found.

The customers that I did battle with were clearly there with a sense of urgency. The Misfits record and the Widespread Panic album were one of the first to go as was a bunch of stuff that I wasn’t that interested in. The Phish albums went quick, and there was a few bands that I wasn’t familiar with who seemed to be rarities by the time I entered the store.

Supposedly, the second guy in line got there at 1:00am, which is totally righteous. I mean, how often in this day and age do you hear about anyone camping out all night in front of a record store.? Judging by the pictures, the dude looked totally exhausted, but jubilant as he displayed the items that he scored from his devotion.

I was in the zone for a moment, jumping through a bunch of singles at a nice click where I grabbed The Byrds “Feel A Whole Lot Better” reissue, the Mike Watt & the Missingmen/Chuch Dukowski Sextet split, and the pink vinyl version of Mastodon’s “Spoonful Weighs A Ton” split with the Lips.

My eye caught a single for The Mynabirds and I quickly secured a copy. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized that it wasn’t the Neil Young/Rick James band of the same name, The Mynah Birds. Instead, it was some band on Saddle Creek label and I was super pissed at how I could have let this happened. I was caught up in the Record Store Day frenzy! If anyone wants to trade even up for my copy of the Mynabirds with a copy of The Mynah Birds, hit me up on the request line.

And what would record store day be without some mindless spending? After a while, I noticed that my goodies kept getting larger and larger, to the point where I had to put some things away.

I put back a few used cds while keeping a copy of Bob & Doug McKenzie’s Great White North album. I also held on to The Hums Of The Lovin Spoonful-a record that was one of my favorites when I was four or five- and there was a 30th anniversary edition of Bob Marley’s Exodus that was had for next to nothing.


When I went back to make a second sweep, I notice that the 7” box set for Unrest’s Perfect Teeth had been sold. Even though it wasn’t really a Record Store Day special, the Record Collector had 10% off anything that wasn’t a RSD exclusive. “Cath Carroll” is awesome.

Maybe that’s just the excuse I need to make a return visit well before the Record Store Day 2013.

Before I do any further consideration of record purchases, I first need to devote the time necessary to actually listen to the stuff I just purchased. Here it is, 24 hours later, and I’ve only managed to get though the singles at least once as well as a run-through of Great White North.

Because what I failed to bargain for what how vinyl records require you to make a commitment in some manner. It forces you to be in front of your stereo for around 40 minutes and devote that entire time to listening to that album.

I never imagined that I’d have to make plans not only to participate in Record Store Day, but to find the time to actually listen to the records that brought me out in the first place.



The line outside prior to opening.



No comments: