Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mascis And Maureen

Thanks to Maarten-our man in Amsterdam-for pointing out this wonderfully bizarre interview with J. Mascis. The person who interviewed him was only labeled as "Maureen" and her lack of a proper introduction got me wondering: "Who the fuck is this lady?"

Watch the video and you'll see why I was curious. She clearly knows something about J. while not knowing much about his back catalog, one would surmise.

But how does she know him?

Where did they meet?

Did they get really high before this was shot?



"Pure chemistry." was how Marteen described it, and I can only agree.

The back story-according to some wonderful research by the equally curious IFC network-discovered that Maureen and J. go way, way back.

Maureen turns out to be the Mother of Sub Pop Records' Megan Jasper, who went to school with J.

Megan recalled "The first time he came to our house, he got in a screaming match with my mom. The visit ended with J standing at the front door yelling, 'YOU'RE FUCKED!' to my mom and my mom then yelling to my dad, 'JIMMY!!! DID YOU HEAR THAT? HE SAID THAT WE'RE FUCKED!'"

Obviously, it took several years in the lab before Maureen and J. developed the chemistry that Maarten is speaking of.

No comments: