Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Preparing To Be Face Fisted

The waiver has been signed, so this may be my last post ever.
With any luck, I will die from scalding hit Duncan Hills coffee being poured over my body at tonight's Converge/High On Fire/Mastodon/Dethklok show in Des Moines.

Is it just me, or does the middle age dude playing guitar with Brendon Small serve as an image killer? I mean, I understand that I won't actually be seeing Murderface, Pickles, and the rest of the cast, but I didn't know that they would reanimate the corpse of Jerry Garcia for rhythm guitar duties either.
But seriously, a quick search of the net finds the old fart to be Mike Keneally, a Zappa protege who has traded licks with the best of them while still managing to look strangely out of place while shredding with a fake melodic death metal band.
I have high hopes that this will be as brutal as the line-up suggests it will be, regardless of how anyone looks.
It better be: I'm using one of my floating holidays to recuperate.

1 comment:

Kiko Jones said...

Why is image so deeply ingrained in the psyche of rock and roll fans, even among those of us who value--and even prefer--substance over style? Does youth still reign supreme? Yeah, stupid question, I know. But how ironic is it that it was Mick and Keith who wrote "What a drag it is getting old," huh?

Someone once told me that as a jazz musician he was happy that he could eventually become fat and bald and it wouldn't matter. Meanwhile, jam bands put talent above all else and have, arguably, the most loyal fans in popular music.

I remember seeing photos of Mike Keneally in the early '90s and he looked like your average slacker/surfer dude. Now he's a middle aged guy with the hair and waistline to prove it. Thankfully, he can still play. It's always great to see one of us old farts out there doing their thing. Enjoy the show.