Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Am A Nightmare Walkin'...

Taxes done…with a day to spare, Mo’ Fogie. I hate taxes…the pressure…like if you fuck up the man will come looking for you. I can’t handle the man. He will outwit me, I know this. Because I do not know what the fuck I’m doing with taxes. I just plug the numbers into Turbo Tax and she magically gets done.
I do remember a few years ago, after I had sold my house and bought a new one in the same tax year, it was late in the day and I have hours to spare. I plug in the numbers and see that I owe over $10,000 in taxes and just freak. What am I going to do? This can’t be right! I can’t pay that! I was trying to stop smoking at that time and I immediately got in the car, drove down to the convenience store, and bought a pack of smokes.
Good thing too. The drive and nicotine got me thinking the right way and I realized that I plugged a wrong number into some space when calculating one of the real estate things. I got it down to where I didn’t owe anything on federal and had to pay a few hundred in state taxes.
Speaking of Iowa. Motherfuckers declared the ban on gay marriage as unconstitutional, which makes us pretty badassed. Personally, I think they should take the ball and run with it-promote nationwide that we wed gay couples-and take advantage of some easy tourism dollars. Are there any other reasons why someone would want to visit Iowa? Please…
Now you’re probably thinking that we’ve got a bunch of hicks that are trying to put a stop to this moral erosion. While the West side of Iowa is unexplainably Republican, and while a vocal percentage of those Republicans are indeed Christian Conservatives, probably the most vocal is a Baptist Reverend from Des Moines who happens to be black. Chew on that one a bit longer: an African-American from Iowa is leading the fight against the State’s Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage.
Speaking of race relations. My city of Cedar Rapids has pretty much locked down the streets downtown that are heavily frequented by blacks. You see, a young black man beat a Cedar Rapids cop to the point where he suffered severe brain damage. Since that attack (and other violent acts that have suddenly cropped up in Cedar Rapids), the cops have blanketed the area, arresting nearly 150 people since early March. Over half of those picked up? African Americans.
Here’s the thing, if there’s a bunch of crazy shit going on in my neighborhood, where teenage boys are beating up elementary-age kids, young men chasing each other down the street shooting handguns, and crazy bitches stealing cars and committing manslaughter with them, I’m going to be personally up the cops’ ass screaming for them to grab a baker’s dozen at Donutland and camp in my yard for a few weeks.
The only thing that I can’t speak too is being a minority and understanding what it’s like to have some cracker cop all up in my grill axing questions. Thankfully, they have a little get together at a church last night and aired some shit out. It was nice to hear members of the African-American community telling the neighborhood that there is a little bit of accountability that should be acknowledged. Again, if some cracker in my neighborhood is knocking cops into a fucking coma, I can expect a lot of heat around my home. But it beats having me get into a situation where I could be the next one getting cold-cocked into a coma.
Someone needs to get a handle on all of those immediately surrounding the incident. You’ve got Moms-with a record-who tried to physically stop the cops from arresting her son, pointing the finger at the cop saying that the only reason her son hit him was because he was plan-clothed. Thing is, dude can be wearing a Slayer jacket, but if I see badge, handgun, and the words “Freeze! Police!” and I would totally treat them like Johnny Law. Mom’s boy, on the other hand, just lays the motherfucking dude out. Then, she slyly suggests that the rough treatment she endured from the cops has aggravated an old shoulder injury might result in a lawsuit against the city. Could someone tell her that about 99% of the whites who read that story have totally used it to justify their prejudice over blacks? Would someone explain that her bullshit bellyachin’ may have set back community race-relations about two decades? Thank God members of her neighborhood spoke up and halfway acknowledged that the family is straight up crazy and headed for the poky anyway.
The main thing is that shit is tough enough, so why create more drama with some bullshit racial tension. Iowa is a very homogenized state, but to beat the shit out of a cop and not expect the neighborhood it happened in to get extra saucy attention is just inventing tension.
So there you go: Iowa with all of its hints of progressive ideals still meandering around the same old bullshit. Maybe I’m just sad because the race relations issue is again making the rounds, much like they were when a survey found a large percentage of property owners who refused to lease to minority tenants while promoting their vacancies to white applicants.
This type of shit was so much better when it was up in Dubuque.

2 comments:

Your Humble Proprietor said...

Shit's getting too real. There's been a rash of drunken douchebags just cold beating up out of people downtown here in IC as well. Somebody started shit with Ethan?

Todd Totale said...

Corrected. Nobody starting anything with E. This is what happen when you type and hit "post." It was some kid near the high profile area that got his nose broken.