Sunday, November 25, 2007

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black


This is God’s Honest Truth here: I didn’t know Jack Shit about Amy Winehouse until I started to hear about her irresponsible exploits. It was a good read, and it prompted me to consider “Why the fuck should I give a shit about Amy Winehouse?”


And after listening to Back To Black, it’s apparent that there are plenty of reasons why I should give a shit about Amy Winehouse.
She has the potential to become one of the greatest soul singers of her generation (yes, that statement is based entirely on my time with one album) while managing to be entirely oblivious to that fact.


Straight up: Back To Black mines the best part of 60’s soul with a subtle modern twist. It’s a timeless album and one that rightfully places Winehouse directly in the spotlight. How she chooses to deal with her sudden notoriety is her choice, but Goddamn, you must be thinking about the records still to come if she can keep herself relatively safe.


That’s right. Relatively safe; part of the appeal of Back To Black and Winehouse in general is the fact that she’s a naughty girl, in that continually tipsy kind of way.


I mean, fuck, it led me to seek her out, so I’d say it’s a good marketing campaign, in a sick kind of way.


Plus, a lot of the album’s lyrical motivation is based entirely on the drink, the herb, and the myriad of illegal substances that she pursues. To be honest, some of the shit she utters is nothing to be proud of, but it is consistent with someone who does make some bad choices and, besides, her incredible voice makes any complaint forgettable.


Again, I’m not lost in my praise for this album. It’s something that I’d be proud to place next to Lady Soul or Tell Mama and it’s a record that will be around for years to come.
If Amy Winehouse herself will be around for years to come is still up for debate.

No comments: